Saturday, February 3, 2007

Gallery Open!

LCCC had it's new gallery opening last night and it was a very pleasant surprise. The attendance was good considering the weather conditions, and the art, although all print in nature, was very diverse. I have to say that it is a wonderful thing to see the support given to the arts at a community college. I would love to comment on the art, but being a photographer doesn't give me the right or expertise to judge anyones work.

I can say that most of the pieces shown are for sale, priced from arround $200 to a few thousand dollars, there are some works that are worth a look. Well, yes I did leave out two pieces that are priced somewhere in the mid $20,000 range, but after seeing the pieces, and finding out that they were done by one of the school's instructors, I am guessing this was a typo. Can't imagine anyone being that arrogant, to place and price pieces among their very own students' work (which almost all out-shined these works) in an attempt to distinguish themselves as a superior talent on price alone.

I will say it was a great feeling seeing Tara's two pieces hanging in the gallery. Without prejudice, her work clearly stands out in the gallery. Although I did see the work prior to the gallery visit, it was easy locating the work the second you entered the doors - The only cluster of people in the gallery when we entered was at Tara's work. Not to mention the presentation framing and the work itself! But I will let you be the judge.... go see the gallery!

No comments: